Dalinar (HC) 70(545)
View Hero
Rep: Distinguished (73)
Distinguished
ghostwheel
  • Post Rep

DPS and EHP Calculator

Postby ghostwheel » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Note that DPS has been switched to "Burst DPS" which is essentially Unbuffed DPS * Elemental% * Elite% * Skills%. Skills% is the affix found in items (and not passives or skills used by heroes).

Essentially the DPS calculator is the amount of damage if you were to hit an Elite with your Skill based affix with the assumption that the Skill only does 100% weapon damage and that the Skill is related with your best Element. What we have at the moment, is something that helps the player determine the relative value of a DPS affix in relation to another affix (ie. how good is a main stat vs CC vs CD vs Elemental vs Elite etc)

The primary principle to using the calculator remains the same below but has been updated with new Elemental%, Elite% and Skill% calculator options which is applied to the *Skill DPS ("Burst DPS")

- copied and stickied this thread into General Discussions as it's a rather useful function of the site that generally gets missed by people.
----
(examples are old below (pre-expansion) but still applies with the latest expansion and patch version of Diablo 3)

A useful DPS and EHP calculator tool is now available in all character sheets where it is now possible to more clearly assess what stat to focus on to increase your overall unbuffed DPS or EHP (unbuffed meaning that we don't use chosen passives/skills or paragon points giving us a fair baseline to make a ladder in the site)

This is particularly useful to determine how much of a gain a certain stat is and then compare it to another, for instance :

Instead of 50% critical hit damage, you can get the same DPS increase from around 204 STR in the above example. The same principle applies to every stat in both calculators.

So, 1% life is the same as approx 10 VIT above.

Here's another way to look at things for those who play HC in particular :
Whats 10 DEX? = 3640 EHP = 4.2 VIT = 4.2 STR (49.6 * 4.2 = 208.32 DPS) = 1.02% Critical Damage (202.76 per critical)

Tesla
Turkey
Ravenous Dead
Konfetiyus (HC) 70(160)
View Hero
Rep: Unknown (1)
Unknown
Tesla
  • Post Rep

Re: DPS and EHP Calculator

Postby Tesla » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 am

This is a very nice and handy feature. It's guiding when you are selecting items and showing what you need. Thanks for adding this.

ghostwheel
Scotland
The Archivist
Dalinar (HC) 70(545)
View Hero
Distinguished
ghostwheel
  • Post Rep

Postby ghostwheel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:26 am

Tesla wrote:This is a very nice and handy feature. It's guiding when you are selecting items and showing what you need. Thanks for adding this.

Cool, I like the calculator because these kind of calculations was kind of what I did roughly in my head which helped me decide whether an item was right for me. In particular, you start to notice things like secondary stats (like dex on a barb) do contribute overall to the character and stats from EHP and DPS can be interchangeable to produce an overall more effective hero.

tigerija
tigerija
Skeleton

Rep: Unknown (0)
Unknown
tigerija
  • Post Rep

Postby tigerija » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:10 pm

I dont get it. Can we download DPS/EHP calculator somewhere?

ghostwheel
Scotland
The Archivist
Dalinar (HC) 70(545)
View Hero
Distinguished
ghostwheel
  • Post Rep

Postby ghostwheel » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:25 pm

tigerija wrote:I dont get it. Can we download DPS/EHP calculator somewhere?

The DPS and EHP calculators are embedded into your character sheets in this site - this is only available for those playing online with the PC version. Enter your battletag into the the bit above where it says "Enter Battletag"; on the next page you may already see stats - if so then scroll all the way down to the bottom so that you can refresh your stats with the "Import Now" button.

Clicking onto your heroes will show your character sheets; the DPS and EHP calculators are on the middle left side under all the ladder positions.

tigerija
tigerija
Skeleton

Rep: Unknown (0)
Unknown
tigerija
  • Post Rep

Postby tigerija » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:10 pm

How is resistance calculated?

For my character is says:

All Res 330.7
Other Res 668 *1

My resistances are from around 1100.

So I am a bit confused about that part.

I also do not know what the difference between 10 or 100 EHP is. Since those are just some numbers.
How do I know what is enough EHP? Like how do I know how much damage enemies deal?

Thanks.

ghostwheel
Scotland
The Archivist
Dalinar (HC) 70(545)
View Hero
Distinguished
ghostwheel
  • Post Rep

Postby ghostwheel » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:46 am

tigerija wrote:How is resistance calculated?

For my character is says:

All Res 330.7
Other Res 668 *1

Your All resistance including INT is only 330.7 which is rather low but your secondary resistance is at 668. As secondary resistances can only mitigate 1 from 6 types of damage types, the weighting for secondary resistance when calculating EHP is basically 668 / 6 so that's the equivalent of 138 All res in the site.

Your int makes up all resistance as well at 10 INT per All resistance and each class has a minor default amount as they level up (included into calculations)

My resistances are from around 1100.

So I am a bit confused about that part.

Your All res is the equivalent of 330.7 + 138 in the site. This is rather low if you are level 70.

I also do not know what the difference between 10 or 100 EHP is. Since those are just some numbers.
How do I know what is enough EHP? Like how do I know how much damage enemies deal?

Thanks.

I've been looking into going ingame to get damage data in the different torment levels (basically standing on arcane sentries etc) to get some field data but just haven't had time to get round to compile all this into anything meaningful (yet)

Essentially, the calculator will help you decide how to increase your overall damage mitigation but is unable to say how much damage you can sustain in different torment levels. The more the better though not to the extent that you lose too much DPS (the calculator can help with that too)

Login